Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Katy & David

My close friends David and Katy recently tied the knot on a romantic chilly December evening in Burbank at Castaways. I love doing flowers for my friend's events- especially their weddings. It often doesn't happen that I am given fairly free range with the design with limited input from my client- who happens to be a close friend! I guess they have seen me do "my thing" for the last 15 years and have total trust! It is so important to me to make their day unique and special, reflective of how they are as both the individual and now as a couple.

Katy gave me essentially one word of inspiration for her and Dave's design, "PURPLE"....and that is exactly what she got! She carried a classic compact all white nosegay bouquet, while her girls in beautiful amethyst dresses carried mixed shades of lavender and purple anenomes, scabiousa, mini calla lilies and roses. For the ceremony we knew it was going to be dark (6:00 p.m. on a chilly December night) so I wanted to use tons of candles lining her plum aisle runner to add a romantic touch and a visual reference to warmth. White rose petals designed in a scroll pattern added a bit of whimsy and lightness to the darker color scheme. Both at the entrance to the aisle and flanking the bride and groom during the ceremony were large all purple floral arrangements consisting of purple hydrangea (hard to get in mid December but only the best for my friends!!!), plum tulips, purple stock, purple alstromeria and curled red ti leaf. Both sets beautifully framed the bride as she entered with her father and during the ceremony. Small crystal drop votive lit chandeliers accented the interior of the existing gazebo.

For the reception we used chunky square vases lined with purple-ish red ti leaf and filled to overflowing with purple hydrangea, plum tulips and purple alstromeria.

Congratulations to you both! We love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment